I have begun to believe my mind is full of tiny little topics that act like pimples.

No one can predict the order they start to fester in, or when they’ll get ripe and burst.

Friday 13 December 2013

This is Your Future: Old Age and Loneliness


A Wake-Up Call for the Boomers Kids
Time is Short

I was going to address this to what is called the Boomer generation only to find they are all old farts like me. The Boomers were born in the period 1946 to 1964 and now range in age from 49-67. They’re all too old to benefit from any advice I give because they are now learning the same difficult lessons I have had to absorb. First and foremost, Freedom 55 was a ridiculous idea and its failure revealed our whole generation’s lack of knowledge about how to manage money and plan for the future. If you’ve reached 60 without banking or investing that you can count on for a comfortable retirement, think again, there’s a rough road ahead

If today, you find yourself at retirement and you haven’t got that nest egg in a much protected state, then count on a shortage of yolk down the road. My son was born in 1964 so I guess I’m aiming this at all the Boomers little brats, not the parents. All of you readers who have reached the age of 50 are looking at a future where you will need to take advantage of all the Canadian Social Benefits that the Cons are determined to chop away at knee level. I’m not surprised at where we are in this country. for the last thirty years I have been watching an amoral control freak crawl his way up the political guts of our society to a leadership role. Yes, I’m talking about Harpo the Hypocrite.

A couple of readers have asked me:

Why do I hate Stephen Harper? What do I have against him? Well, here’s the axe I’ve been grinding and have been for 3 decades. I would give a million dollars to have the privilege of being first in line to piss on his grave.

In 1989 we were living in Red Deer, Alberta in the heart of redneck Religious Fundamentalist country with its ignorant belief and prejudices. My son was a homosexual. He was born one, he grew into a talented artist: I knew who he was and accepted the fact. I think it was September when Lee had to go to a dentist and was turned away because he was contagious, he had HIV.

Our leader Mr. Harper was not really into politics as yet but was gathering his base with a thunder and lighting campaign based on religious bigotry and intolerance and somehow he got my attention and I started listening to him. It was not fun hearing my son was being punished by God for his evil ways and perverted conduct but the son-of a bitch would not shut up. It took my son 7 years of hell to die of AIDS when it fried his brain, and we had to watch the process, listening to the vitriol of an asshole on the radio vilifying our son. According to his belief structure my son was a sinner being punished for his perversion and choice of homosexuality and Harpo condemned d him to Hell. I can’t forgive that.

In 1997 my employer went bankrupt and we went through a very tough time when we needed help from the system and actually got it. EI saved our ass. Late that year Mr. Harper, the Great Pretender, gave a speech to a collection of right wing American fundamentalist business tycoons at an event in Montreal. In it he describes his appreciation of the Canadian social network and Canadians inattention, greed, and acceptance of a public dole. That alone displays some of the evil thinking he again needed in designing the MMPR. I quote:

First, facts about Canada. Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it. Canadians make no connection between the fact that they are a Northern European welfare state and the fact that we have very low economic growth, a standard of living substantially lower than yours, a massive brain drain of young professionals to your country, and double the unemployment rate of the United States.
In terms of the unemployed, of which we have over a million-and-a-half, don't feel particularly bad for many of these people. They don't feel bad about it themselves, as long as they're receiving generous social assistance and unemployment insurance.”
The reality is boys and girls you children are going to experience what remains of our beloved compassionate system of giving a shit about your neighbor. Harpo has a majority and with his bigoted understanding of how to fix shit I will not hazard a guess as to what ruins will remain after his tenancy is ended.


Blaine Barrett

No comments:

Post a Comment